Change of University

You have already studied at a university and would like to continue your studies at FH Aachen? This is only possible via the online application for a change of university (Hochschulwechsel) if you can be admitted to a higher subject-specific semester ("höheres Fachsemester") on the basis of recognised examination results. The confirmation of the classification into a higher subject-specific semester is issued by the examination board of the respective faculty of FH Aachen and has to be uploaded during the online application.


Detailed Information on Changing Universities with Foreign University Entrance Qualifications

As a student who wants to change universities for a Bachelor's degree programme with a foreign university entrance qualification, you must first have "uni-assist" pre-check whether your foreign certificates meet the requirements of the Kultusministerkonferenz, i.e. the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen, ZaB) and whether these are generally sufficient for admission to higher education in Germany. The deadline for submitting application documents to uni-assist for the summer semester is 31 July 2022.

When applying for a higher subject-specific semester (Fachsemester), a certificate of semester classification - issued by the examination office of the responsible faculty - must also be submitted.


Classification Form [in German only]

Einstufung in höhere Fachsemester (Download) | Link alternativer Formular-Download


Information on the winter semester 2022/23

Please keep in mind that some degree programmes will be subject to admission restrictions in higher semesters for winter semester 2022/23.

These are (for the time being) the following Bachelor's degree programmes:

Betriebswirtschaft/Business Studies | Fahzeug- und Antriebstechnik | Global Business and Economics | International Business Studies (IBS) | International Business Studies (IBS) (8 Semester) | Kommunikationsdesign | Luft- und Raumfahrttechnik | Media and Communications for Digital Business | Produktdesign | Wirtschaftsinformatik | Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen | Wirtschaftsrecht.

The following Master's degree programmes are admission-restricted in the higher subject-specific semester:

Biotechnologie | Industrial Engineering | International Business Management (FACT und KuS) | Produktentwicklung Maschinenbau | Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen.

When applying for an admission-restricted degree programme, this means that not all applicants may be offered a place.
After the re-registration phase, the number of study places still available will be determined and these will then be allocated to applicants who want to change universities.

For the winter semester 2022/23, the application deadline for studies in a higher subject-specific semester ended on

  • 31 August 2022 (with a domestic university entrance qualification).
  • 31 July 2022 (with a foreign university entrance qualification via uni-assist).

Online Application Portal

Please do not deregister from the other university or university of applied science until you have received a letter of acceptance (letter of admission) from FH Aachen.

In case of a positive answer, you will get a letter of admission from the Registrar's Office, detailing the period of time for registration which will be carried out on the basis of the documents submitted by post only; normally, these are:

  1. the letter of admission
  2. the receipted pay-in slip, or bank account statement, confirming that the social contribution and student activity fee (tuition fees, if applicable) has been transferred
  3. a current proof of student health insurance
  4. a certificate of deregistration
  5. the 'Clearance Certificate' for people changing universities of applied sciences with the same degree programme
  6. the classification certificate from the faculty's examination board
  7. for certain degree programmes: aptitude assessments or online self-assessment.


[Forms in German only]

Merkblatt zum HochschulwechselDownload: II2_002_info_hochschulwechsel_201807.pdf) ​​​​​​​

Einstufung in höhere Fachsemester - Formular-Download | Link alternativer Formular-Download